Maintenance of certification program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
This Conference is recognized as an Accredited Group Learning Activity (Section 1) as defined by the RCPSC.
Use the following guidelines to develop appropriate learning objectives.
- Step 1 Describe the information, skills, behaviors, or perspectives participants in the session will acquire through attendance and participation.
- Step 2 Clearly identify the outcomes or actions participants can expect to demonstrate as a result of the educational experiences. See the action words below.
- Step 3 Write the learning objectives that relate to these outcomes and that reflect the content of the session.
Objectives describe the skills, abilities and/or attitudes that a delegate will be able to accomplish at the end of the session. An objective is clearly stated and is measurable, in terms of time, space, amount, and/or frequency.
Ensure that the learning objectives:
- Describe the specific knowledge, behaviour, skill, attitude or learning outcomes that delegates will gain from attending the session.
- Are measurable in terms of observable, behavioral outcomes for delegates.
- Utilizes an effective, action verb that targets the desired level of performance.
|Analyze||analyze, classify, compare, contrast, detect, determine, differentiate, dissect, discover, discriminate, distinguish, estimate, examine, explore, interpret, investigate|
|Apply||apply, classify, construct, demonstrate, explain, estimate, identify, illustrate, implement, instruct, interpret, perform, plan, predict, prepare|
|Create||Arrange, assemble, combine, compose, create, establish, design, devise, develop, formulate, invent, manage, modify, organize, plan, prepare, produce, propose|
|Evaluate||appraise, assess, criticize, defend, determine, estimate, evaluate, judge, justify, measure, predict, rank, rate, recommend, select, summarize, test, verify|
|Remember||arrange, define, describe, distinguish, locate, identify, label, list, name, recall, recite, recognize, repeat, reproduce, state|
|Understand||classify, compare, defend, describe, discuss, explain, identify, illustrate, indicate, interpret, review, summarize, transform, translate, conclude|
Avoid using verbs that are difficult to measure. The following verbs are internal to the delegate and therefore difficult to assess and should not be used:
- Have or gain knowledge of